Monday, July 20, 2020

The power of gratitude

As someone who has traveled to various places in the world I recognize how blessed we are when compared to other countries. Even the poorest of us have far more material things than some who live in other countries. We have freedoms that are the envy of people in many nations. We have opportunities that many will never know. Yet, despite the advantages we enjoy, many people are not grateful for what is available to them. Some are never satisfied, always wanting more. Others have an entitlement mindset and believe that they have the right to have the things they want, even if they are taken from someone else.

Did you know that expressing gratitude offers many benefits to the one who is grateful. Sonja Lyubomirsky has written The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want to share what her research teaches about happiness. One of her major findings is that 40 percent of our happiness is within our power to change. One of the things we can do to improve our happiness is to be grateful and expressing that gratefulness to others.

She writes, "People who are consistently grateful have been found to be relatively happier, more energetic, and more hopeful and to report experiencing more frequent positive emotions. They also tend to be more helpful and emphatic, more spiritual and religious, more forgiving, and less materialistic than others who are less disposed to gratefulness. Furthermore, the more a person is inclined to gratitude, the less likely he or she is to be depressed, anxious, lonely, envious, or neurotic."

That's a pretty impressive list of benefits enjoyed by those who are grateful. Most of the people I know would love to have these qualities in their lives. So, how can you become more grateful and enjoy these benefits?

You may want to make a list of the good things that happen in your life. Sometimes we forget the little things for which we should be grateful and focus more on the negative things that happen to us. You may want to begin a journal in which to write down the good things that happened to you that day or the things or people for which you are thankful.

Another thing is to send a note to someone each day who blessed you in some way. You could do the same thing with a text or email, but I think it makes a greater impression on you if you hand write a note of appreciation to someone and mail it to them. It may also be more meaningful to the one receiving the note to know you went to the trouble of sending it to them in this way.

Of course, a face-to-face message of gratitude is always appreciated. I remember when my English teacher in Bible college attended a book signing when my first book was released. I spent time to find her address and send her an invitation to the signing and was delighted when she attended. I was able to tell her that I would never have had the courage to attempt to write a book without her encouragement in class. In our first writing assignment she wrote on the top of the page "You write well." No one had ever told me that before, and it gave me the courage to attempt to write that book a few years later when I finished school.

I find that the more grateful I am about the things I have, the more good seems to come my way. I know when I count my blessings I am much happier and more effective in my life. Determine today to be more grateful and find ways to express your gratitude to others. I think you'll find it will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment