Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Make a difference in the lives of other people

One of the most important things anyone can do is to make a positive difference in the life of another person. All around us are people who are hurting. They be struggling with illnesses, relationship issues, financial pressures, employment concerns, or some crisis we know nothing about. Chances are they feel at times that no one cares. Sometimes, all it takes is one person to make a positive difference in a person's life. Why shouldn't that person be you?

There are many ways you can make a difference in someone's life. It doesn't take a million dollars or some supernatural ability. Sometimes all you have to do is listen. A few years ago I was called to the home of an individual to look at some items she wanted me to sell for her at auction. After we talked for a few minutes she began to tell me how her life was unraveling. Her fiance has recently died, and she was struggling with an illness herself. As she began to tell me all the bad things that was going on in her life the tears were running down her face. I explained that I was a retired pastor and asked if I could pray for her. She agreed, and after I prayed I asked if she had a church home. I knew many of the churches in that area, and when she responded she did not attend a church I was able to recommend a couple I knew could help her. Her spirits lifted simply because some cared enough to listen to her pain.

Another thing you can do is to stand up for someone going through a rough time. When Jackie Robinson became the first African-American player to play in the Major Leagues he encountered a lot of hatred. Some opposing teams threatened to not play if he was on the field. Even some of his own teammates threatened they would refuse to play as long as he was on the team. Fans in the stands hurled the worst racial comments towards him they could think of. One game was exceptionally hateful when Pee Wee Reese walked over to Robinson and stood beside him with his arms around his shoulders. Reese was highly respected in MLB, and his act of friendship soon quieted the crowd. Sometimes we can make a difference just by being a friend and letting the other person know they are not alone in their battle.

A third way we can make a difference in someone's life is to share what we know. I have spent a lifetime promoting and writing about bivocational ministry. My doctoral thesis was on the subject. Every year I get one or two calls from grad students who are writing their dissertations on bivocational ministry, and they are calling to ask me some questions. I love being able to help them because I know that not only are they being helped, but their research and writing will help others down the line.

The final thing I'll mention is to stay positive. Too many people look for the negative in others when we should be looking for the positive. Sometimes a person makes a mistake and people are quick to jump on the negative bandwagon. No one's life should be evaluated for their worst moments. If you look for the good you'll find it in most people. When they get down on themselves for their mistakes you can remind them of all the good qualities that are in their lives. Believe me, it will make a difference.

I encourage you to look for those people who needs encouragement, who needs someone to remind them of their potential. Take these steps and you'll make a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment